Saturday, April 10, 2010

You haven't tried a pancake like the pancakes down under

It wouldn’t be fair to conclude this pancake blog project without paying to tribute to one of the greatest inspirations for this pancake blogging endeavor of mine. This past December, I travelled to the magnificent Sydney, Australia for a week and a half. And, let me tell you, I was not at my usual level of perkiness on the day of my return trip. Sydney was fabulous. It was almost Christmas, but the Sydney weather would have made you think otherwise. In the middle of December, there were dozens of street vendors, musicians, and master barbeque and street food cooks filling up the sunny walkways on the strips of Sydney Harbor. If I had packed a bigger bag, you may not have seen me return to the chilly states. I was much too enamored by those adorably entertaining Australian accents, the dazzling waterfront views, and, well, everything else you can find in Sydney.

Yes, I could probably go on about Australia forever. But I will not, as it is time for me to somehow relate this trip to food (and more specifically, pancakes), and also avoid making you uncontrollably jealous of my time spent touring this energetic, spectacular city.

My favorite eating adventures undoubtedly occurred in the bustling street between crowds of people and eager-to-sell vendors offering everything from boomerangs to mocha crème-filled cannolis. I loved stopping for lunch and dinner at all of these humble little tents for several reasons. 1) The electric atmosphere in the streets was unmatched and couldn’t be experienced in the booth of a sit-down restaurant. 2) The food was a mouthwatering, unrivaled experience in itself. You got that “made with love” touch added to every drippy cheese-and-spinach Indian flatbread and everything chocolate-covered took you to a whole other emotional sinfully delicious world. 3) The price kept you deprived of the necessity to fast for the majority of the trip after your wallet was emptied on over-priced restaurant food in the first few days. Yes, I would have been a poor, hungry American had it not been for that good ol’ street food.

Okay…Pancakes, I know. Well, I can’t say I didn’t occasionally stop by the traditional sit-down eatery. But when I did, I made darn sure it would be worth every penny. It had to be something authentic, something as un-American and non-chain as it gets. (Unless, of course, it was an Australian chain that exhibited enough originality and flair to nix my prejudice against chain restaurants, which indeed happened to be the situation in the case of my pancake restaurant.) Apparently, “Pancake on the Rocks” is a hit in Sydney Harbor, drawing hefty crowds all day long to drool over its ridiculously scrumptious pancake masterpieces. I was happy to hear of its noteworthy reputation, but I was sold quite easily after the word “pancakes.”

And, to my extreme delight, this pancake house fit to cater a party in Heaven fulfilled every one of my highest hopes. The pancake varieties were endless, most topped with nothing less than a billion grams of fat and sugar, ranging from whipped cream and fruit to nuts and, yes, ice cream! The picture of the “Devil’s Delight” pancake says it all. Nonetheless, it’s worth mentioning the astounding variety of savory pancake options provided on their oversized menu. The second time I paid a visit to this marvelous pancake restaurant, I made sure to give the non-sweet pancakes a try, and the “Potato-Au-Gratin” pancake—replete with onions, melted cheese, hollandaise, grilled pineapple and banana—made me almost tear and toss my plane ticket home.

So here I am, four months later, still salivating at the mere recollection of those unbeatable pancakes. But I suppose I owe that experience more than a thank you for a few unforgettable meals. After all, this Sydney pancake restaurant gave me a strangely unique idea for what could have been a pretty dull blog.

~Happy Pancake Eating~

http://pancakesontherocks.com.au/home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Convert By NewBloggerTemplates Wordpress by Wpthemesfree