When I think of burgers, I think of two things: traditions and birthdays.
Since I was about four years old, I spent almost all of my “play time” with my same three partners in crime: my sister, Kimberly, and the "Glenn gals"—Whitney and Rachel—who lived across the street from the house I grew up in, a perfect 82 steps from one front door to the other. Almost every worthwhile tradition I can remember from my childhood was concocted among our devious foursome. The one I'd like to highlight today—which I will somehow relate to a pancake (as I always do)—is the April "double-birthday" celebration.

Kimberly's birthday falls on April 11th and Whitney's is on the 12th: a prime excuse for a doubly-exciting joint birthday celebration. Apparently, this yearly occurrence provided the ideal opportunity to bring our families together for a mutual dinner—at the exact same restaurant (and sometimes the exact same table, the “Elvis booth”) every single year: Fuddruckers. When we were ten, twelve, thirteen, and fourteen, the best part of Fuddruckers was making the "suicide sodas" at the refreshment counter that we would carefully carry back to the table and then exchange sips to see who had the nastiest and tastiest blend of all the sodas provided in one pop dispenser. But as we grew older, we stuck to one flavored drink a piece, and stayed instead for the burgers on those sensationally buttery, oversized buns.
My plan: Salute America's good 'ol burger, as well as my fond memories of traditions and birthdays with the Glenn gals, while inviting an unusual counterpart to encompass my juicy patty: a pancake "bun."
My method: Make the pancake batter. (See my previous three blogs for my thoughts on the batter. The repetition is annoying me.) Cook your burger and dress it up with your favorite toppings. (I used a veggie burger topped with onions and spinach…yum….) Pour half of your batter into the fry pan, where you have melted a little slab of butter to bring that scrumptious taste and pretty glisten to the outside of your pancake “bun,” and cook the batter about a minute before placing the burger (with toppings!) gently on top of the batter. Then, pour the other half of the batter on top of the burger. I know; it sounds weird. But let me tell you—it looks even weirder.
Flip the burger half way through the cooking process and wait until the second side is a saliva-generating golden brown. Plop your adventurous burger onto a plate and top with your favorite saucy condiment. I used honey mustard, and though I wished I could make the pictures dazzle with a ketchup-mustard crosshatch pattern, I simply could not. Why? Because my least favorite food item in the whole world is ketchup. To me, there is nothing—I repeat: nothing—nastier in texture, taste, consistency, you name it.
My verdict: My FAVORITE pancake yet. I devoured it in less than three minutes. ‘Nuff said.
I lied…I do have one more things to say: TRY THIS PANCAKE!
Until next time,
~Happy Pancake Eating~
4 comments:
hahaha! Fantastic!!! I am thinking of making this for my boyfriend.
Thanks for sharing!
Did you cook the burger prior to adding it on top of the batter? We use MorningStar burgers often and cook them on the skillet for about ten minutes or so, flipping ever so often. Adding veggies on top, then pouring batter over them, seems quite odd, but I suppose it's just another version of a hot pocket pancake style -- come to think of it, I wonder, with all the market now in fast food for waffle breakfast sandwiches and McDonalds, with their pancake like muffin/biscuits, why this craze wouldn't be more popular. This one looks a lot better than the Mac N Cheese one! I'm going to try it!
Wow. I so want to try this. My hubby doesn't like pancakes but I think I could convince him to eat some of this for sure. I think your love of pancakes is great, seeing how I am a fellow pancake lover. I love how you are trying different things and creating new foods with the pancake. Did you just make this up, or find a reciepe for it somewhere? Which ever you did it sounds great.
Thanks, ladies! Vanessa, I did cook the burger first. And maybe you are onto something...I should be pitching this to Ronald! Ha!
Marie, I completely made this up (and everything else). When you are taking 21 credits of pretty much all writing courses, you are forced to get creative to keep yourself from falling asleep on your own written work. So I figured I'd try to make the recipes as strange as my writing about it is! Perhaps there is another pancake enthusiast out there who has tried this...I bet we'd make good friends.
Post a Comment