I love breakfast—obviously. I have an entire blog devoted to transforming pancakes (a decidedly breakfast food) into lunch, snack, and dinner masterpieces. So far, I have surprised the traditional pancake with garlic, spaghetti sauce, macaroni noodles, and cheese. But I decided to go back to the cozy breakfast comforts in this next pancake project. With that said, however, I couldn’t help but throw in a twist, because what would this blog be without one?
Whenever I go out for breakfast, I agonize over my meal choice—omelet or pancakes? Omelets come with potatoes, which I have never been a fan of, especially not with eggs. Pancakes can come with eggs, but only plain eggs, cooked one of a hundred ways (or so it seems when you are trying to decide how you like it). But I can’t order an omelet and pancakes. Apparently, something about those couple of extra ingredients cooked inside the eggs makes the omelet too classy to be paired with pancakes. This is really a shame if you think about it, because that match would make a truly outstanding morning feast.
So I decided to try something crazy. I decided to not just pair the protein-packed omelet with the tasty carb-loaded pancakes, but to put those eggs IN my pancakes. Genius, I know.
My plan: Make an omelet-stuffed pancake, combining several food groups into one deliciously balanced meal.
My method:
I made the pancake batter: As always, if you don’t have the time to make your own, you can easily use a store-bought mix with this recipe (organic is best)! Again, I use whole wheat batter and milk in place of water in the mix for that special fluffiness.
Then I made my omelet—crammed with veggies of course. But, naturally, you can get especially creative here. What about a bacon and sausage omelet? Talk about an all-in-one breakfast packed inside a single pancake! The possibilities are endless! (I love how cheesy this blog gets.)
Next, I spooned half of my pancake batter into the frying pan. I put my cooked omelet right on top of the uncooked batter and topped the veggie-loaded eggs with more pancake batter.
I allowed the pancake to cook through, flipping it right when it was looking brown and toasty on one side…I have to admit, this was the hungriest I have gotten while making my pancake creations. I think my appetite was wet for the traditional breakfast flavors.
I finished off my pancakes with what I thought would be a chic-looking asparagus bouquet. Once I looked at the pictures, I decided the topping was more of an ugly detriment to the photo than an elegant finish. Oh well!
My Verdict: Besides exciting all of my taste buds (c’mon, it was a pancake chock full of all of my favorite breakfast tastes), this pancake was unusually fun to make. Cutting the pancake open to see a whole omelet inside made me feel like a brilliant chef for combining the two morning starters into one compact bite of breakfast menu heaven!
What I would do differently: For the sake of full disclosure, I will honestly admit that my attempt to make a hollandaise sauce to accompany the omelet pancake failed miserably. My lack of attentiveness to its cooking process and the low-rate recipe I used made for a congealed mess of a topping that should have been a stellar ending to this beautiful pancake. I decided not to fret over my abysmal sauce, and instead topped the pancake with maple syrup—which I had been missing anyway.
I hope everyone celebrated National Pancake Day, Week, and Month a few weeks ago!
~Happy Pancake Eating~
4 comments:
Wow, this entire blog is making me so hungry right now. I'm with you; I love pancakes. Not really a big fan of eggs, even though I'm always tempted to order an omelet at IHOP because they make them look so darn good. I've never thought to make such creations out of this simple breakfast! This is one of the most interesting spins on food that I have come across in a while. It was a pleasure to read!
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog! As a fellow pancake enthusiast, all your ideas have sounded fascinating and intrigued me. I want to try some of them out myself, when I have the time (just to make sure you're really telling the truth when you say how tasty it is =). The pictures work well, they make my mouth water with the enticing-ness of them. Also, I have enjoyed your writing style too. It's interesting and well-written, making for a easily enjoyable blog. Keep up the good work!
I never would have thought to do this, but it sounds really good! I also don't think that the asparagus ruined your pictures. This may be due to my unnatural love of asparagus but I think that it seemed like a creative (not to mention tasty) addition!
Can I just say that the idea for this blog is refreshingly original?! What an interesting concept! You may be on to something here... I wouldn't have thought you could do so much with pancakes, but I guess the possibilities really are endless. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!
Post a Comment