But what if I forced that perfect pair to separate? What if I cunningly plotted to make the everyday pancake try to make new friends—like spaghetti sauce or cheese? Or hamburgers or salsa?
Crazy, I know. Bold, you bet. Disgusting, quite possibly. But interesting…isn’t it?
Growing up, my family seemed to ignore the traditional pancake. My mom believed French toast was the breakfast to beat all breakfasts, and when my father had the urge to give the good ol’ pancakes a shot, out came the Aunt Jemima. Or the Bisquick. Yuck. Could I just eat the cardboard box instead, please?
My love for pancakes blossomed in my later teen years. Something about their beautifully fluffy texture and that heavenly maple topping made the lasting syrupy smell on my clothes totally worth it. I loved jazzing them up too. Chocolate chip, banana, blueberry, apple cinnamon, peanut butter, mixed berry, cinnamon raison—endless possibilities!

But perhaps pancakes have been given their fair chance to impress. We seem to shove them into sweet submission by only allowing them to accompany their sugary counterparts. Their crepe cousins hog all the glory for venturing into the savory world, to be folded around meats and cheeses and veggies.
I’m here to stretch the pancake to its limits. My mission is to see how versatile this floury batter really is. Some of my endeavors may simply flop. And others…well, who knows? Maybe tomorrow night at dinner the pancake will be featured in your main course!
I would at least like the adjective “edible” to be awarded to each pancake creation, but I will not feel defeat if I the first bite travels faster coming out of my mouth than going in. Essentially, it’s the fearless try that’s the fun part.
I think it is important to establish some ground rules for this series of new pancake recipes.
My rules:
• The pancake must be altered in some way. Simply putting ingredients on top of the plain pancake is a cop-out, which is unacceptable in a courageous experiment like this.
• No exact measurements. Well, almost none. Of course the ingredients for the pancake batter should be measured out, lest you end up with some nasty, mushy, half-cooked glop. However, I plan to let creativity and spontaneity guide me through the rest of the recipe, which makes it that much more exciting if you plan to recreate any of these inimitable pancakes.
• Most importantly, no traditional pancake varieties allowed. That would defeat the purpose of this whole project entirely. Still, I felt the need to etch this master rule into my first blog…hold me to my word.
I expect you will find this blog hopelessly ridiculous, yet at least mildly entertaining. As a college students juggling a job and a 21-credit semester, I think these pancakes could be a unique creative outlet for me, a good break from pouring over dozens of essays and staring at the same flash cards for what seems like an infinite amount of hours (especially when studying theories).
The coming attractions? All I will divulge for now is that the first pancake will have an Italian theme… Yuí! (“Yum” in Italiano. Who knew you would be getting a mini-lesson in Italian from a pancake blog?)~Happy Pancake Eating~
8 comments:
I have a new kind of pancake for you to try and then report to us. You need to go to Williams and Sonoma and purchase an Ebelskiver pan. This allows you to make pancakes that are filled with whatever suits your fancy. Please let me know how it all goes.
I almost purchased one of these over Christmas vacation but the thought of stuff in my pancakes, other than chocolate chips, was not very appealing!
I am excited for this first pancake! I am missing strange Italian foods - who knows you hopefully will invent an American version of the Suppli (which if you do I will forever be in your debt)! I can't wait for the verdict!
While I love pancakes, french toast is so much better. Why you might ask? Well, you sit down at the table, starving. You order a heaping stack of steaming hot pancakes, as you start eating you realize your eyes were bigger than your stomach and you can only eat one pancake. You must wonder why~~only one, but I was so hungry. Well, those darn things are thick and while tasty, fill you up quickly. The shocker is~~ an hour later you are ready for the pancakes you threw out. Now, eating french toast, so light and fluffy lets you finish that heaping pile sitting on your plate. The irony in all of this is: an hour late, no matter how much or how little you ate, neither stays with you and you are back to square one~~~HUNGRY!
Oh, and by the way, the ebelskiver is not cheap.
so dear friend....
can we expect this italiano pancake to be savory?
I LOVE THIS BLOG.
So dear niece, are you updating this page or am I missing something? Do you respond to our
comments? Exactly what is happening here??????
And in case I didn't say this: Your blog is very well written and the picture is very enticing!
"Maryor": I found your analysis of the French toast to be insightful and quite true! Maybe I will have to save up for that ebelskiver.
Whitney: Looks like I will have to try a Suppli pancake sometime soon...so that you can be in my debt!
Aelish: I hope the Italian SAVORY pancake will be to your liking.
Post a Comment